Frequently Asked Questions

For small leaks, temperature, pest control, trash disposal, or similar issues, please place an online request for service with Columbia University Facilities.  If you wish to place a request over the phone, you may call Facilitise at 212-854-2222.  For more serious issues that require a maintenance request form, write to

ISERP offers two conference rooms for the benefit of our centers and programs, workshops and seminars, and occasionally outside events. Event coordinators are welcome to review the room scheduling guidelines and use our online form to schedule the rooms on a one-time or repeating basis. Priority is given to ISERP events.

If you are unsure whether you have received a payment that you are due, check the casual payroll schedule or work-study payroll schedule to verify that a payment was scheduled. If your paychecks are deposited directly, check your bank statement to see whether a deposit was made. Lastly, if you have a Columbia UNI, log in to myColumbia and select the Faculty and Staff tab > View Your Direct Deposit Information to view your current and prior pay statements.  Direct any questions to Katie Naum

Try searching the ISERP website to locate the information you're looking for. If you still have an unanswered question, write to and we will answer as best as we can.  We appreciate your interest in our work.

Columbia's Accounts Payable scans the forms and supplementary materials that comprise requests for reimbursement. Staples cannot be fed into the scanners. Any staples should be removed from invoices, and receipts should be securely taped on all sides to an 8.5" x 11" sheet of white paper. Failure to comply may substantially delay the process.

In order to prevent duplicate payments and to satisfy the auditing requirements of the Internal Revenue Service, Columbia's Accounts Payable requires social security numbers to process reimbursements to individuals.

Reimbursements are subject to Columbia University's Travel and Business Expense policies and procedures.

ISERP expedites the process on behalf of its affiliates and guests. Review the general procedure for requesting a reimbursement and direct any questions to Carmen Morillo.



Reimbursements submitted within 90 days of incurring the expense generally take around three (3) to four (4) weeks to process. If your reimbursements are deposited directly, check your bank statement to see whether a deposit was made. Direct any questions to Carmen Morillo.

Reimbursements and honoraria can be deposited directly into U.S. bank accounts. Simply fill out the direct deposit form to submit your request to Columbia's Accounts Payable. Once the request has been processed by Accounts Payable, all future reimbursements and honoraria will be automatically deposited into the specified bank account.

Note that this process is unrelated to the direct deposit of paychecks.

Faculty and research scholars or scientists at Columbia University and its affiliated schools are eligible to apply for an ISERP seed grant. Our seed grant program supports proposal development, pilot research, and other activities that advance research projects to the point where they can attract external funding.

While ISERP does not fund full-scale research, Columbia faculty, scholars, and scientists are also welcome to take advantage of the services and resources of the Research Development Office, which not only administers the grants of our affiliates, but also facilitates the development of research and proposals to assist investigators in the search for external funding. The Research Development Office is the liaison between Columbia University Research Administration and the social sciences.

Columbia faculty, scholars, and scientists interested in working with the Research Development Office should write to  In a paragraph or two, briefly describe the project, as well as any prior attempts to fund the research, if applicable.  We will arrange a meeting with you to further discuss the research and funding opportunities.



Have a look our checklist and guidelines for NSF grant applications and contact to set up a meeting to discuss your proposal.

For non-NSF grants, forward the request for proposals and any other available information about the funding opportunity to, and set up a meeting to discuss your proposal.

The Research Development Office will work with you to develop and finalize the budget for your grant proposal. To help you get started, have a look at our budget guide and sample budget, which cover expenditure categories, administrative costs, computing fees, and more.

Congratulations! For investigators who have been awarded external funding, the Research Development Office establishes grant accounts, reviews and issues monthly fiscal statements, handles hiring, payroll, and reimbursements, provides computing services, and works with investigators to address budgetary, human subjects, and other certification and compliance issues pertaining to their grants. We also assist with NSF reports, final reports, and grant closeout.

Let us know that the grant has been awarded and schedule a meeting with ISERP's Research Development Office to discuss the procedures for administrating your grant. First off, we'll work with Columbia's Research Administration to set up your grant account, which generally happens within a week or two, but may take longer in certain circumstances.

Yes. Every research project and grant at Columbia must be approved by the Institutional Review Board (IRB), regardless of whether or not it deals directly with human subjects. Your grant award will not be released until IRB approval or exemption has been confirmed. For help navigating the IRB review process, have a look at our IRB helpful hints on our documents and links page.

Rascal is Columbia's Research Administration System. All grant proposals, funded grants, conflicts of interest, human subjects compliance, and other research administration matters are managed through Rascal.

If you still have an unanswered question, please have a look at our downloads and links for further information or contact the Research Development Office directly and we will answer as best as we can.