Casual employees are paid by the hour, and must submit time sheets approved by their supervisor every two weeks in order to be paid.
Download the time sheet template here.
Download the current casual payroll calendar here.
How to Complete Your Time Sheet:
Please ensure that you fill your time sheets out completely, including:
- Your Name
- Employee ID: ISERP can confirm this number for you several days after your hire goes through. Please check when you turn in your first time sheet, and save this information for future reference. Please note: this is not your UNI.
- Department: Please write "ISERP" here.
- Total Hours Worked in Period
- ChartString. This may be obtained from your supervisor or ISERP and is necessary for payment.
- Dates for the period this time sheet covers. (See the Casual Payroll Calendar above.)
- Hours you have worked this period, including both start and end times and total hours worked for each day.
- If you work for longer than six hours in one day, please ensure you take a half hour break and note it on your time sheet: this is required by law.
- Pending your supervisor's approval, you may work up to 20 hours per week during spring and fall semesters, and up to 35 hours per week during summer and winter break.
- Your signature
- Your supervisor's signature and date. An email indicating approval for the specific time sheet will work if you cannot obtain a signature in person.
Tip: you may wish to prepare a master time sheet that lists all of the information that will remain constant (Name, Department, ChartString, etc). This will save time when you fill out future time sheets. Please note that incomplete time sheets may result in delayed payment.
How to Submit your Time Sheet:
Once you have completed your time sheet, you can submit it by:
- Placing it in the Timesheets tray on the right-hand side of suite 370, immediately before the coordinator’s desk.
- Emailing your scanned time sheet to ISERP Hiring (email@example.com). Important: Make sure your supervisor is copied if you did not get their signature in person! We cannot process time sheets without approval.
When to Submit Time Sheets:
With several exceptions, time sheets are due biweekly on Thursdays at 5:00pm. Please review the Casual Payroll Calendar for further information, and note the following:
- Pay Periods: The dates your payments are broken up by. Please use only these dates when filling out time sheets.
- Time Sheet Due Dates: Please note that the deadlines are firm, and I cannot process any time sheet without a supervisor's signature.
- Pay Days: This is when your check arrives, or your direct deposit goes through.
Please note that our financial system terminates you automatically if you have not submitted a time sheet for several months. Thus, if you find yourself submitting time sheets en masse after several pay periods have passed, you will essentially have to be rehired as an employee. This will require all new paperwork from you, and you will experience a delay in getting paid.
Getting Paid/Direct Deposit:
There are two ways to receive your paychecks:
- You may pick them up from department staff in suite 370. You will be emailed by a member of our financial staff when they arrive. Please bring ID when you sign out your check.
- You may sign up for Direct Deposit once your hire has gone through. Please follow the instructions given by HR. If you have issues setting up direct deposit, you can submit questions to the HRPC Helpdesk via the inquiry form (http://hr.columbia.edu/hrpc-inquiry-form) or contact the HRPC Help Desk at 212-851-2888 Monday – Friday from 9 am – 4 pm
Casual Sick Time Policy:
ISERP Principal Investigators should be advised of Columbia University's policy of compliance with the New York City Earned Sick Time Act, and its effect on payroll for short-term casual employees hired through ISERP. Please read below for the official text of this policy, and who is affected.
The policy states the following (full text at this link):
Columbia University complies with the New York City Earned Sick Time Act by providing eligible faculty and staff the ability to accrue up to a maximum of 40 hours per fiscal year in paid sick time, which can be used for illness or preventative care of one's self or one's family members (defined under the Act to mean the employee's child, spouse, domestic partner, parent, sibling (including a half sibling, step sibling, or sibling related through adoption), grandchild, grandparent, or the child or parent of an employee's spouse or domestic partner).
The policy affects all Columbia University employees who work in New York City, and who work more than 80 hours a fiscal year (July 1 - June 30). Casual employees are eligible for paid sick leave at a rate of 1 hour for every 30 hours worked, up to a maximum of 40 hours in a year. This time must be taken in 1-hour increments. (See accrual schedule at this link.) An eligible employee may begin using sick time after accruing sick time under this policy for one hundred twenty (120) calendar days.
ISERP will independently track short-term casual employee hours each fiscal year to ensure an accurate record of accrued sick time is maintained. Any paid sick time will be charged to the same funding source as the student's payroll.
Please do not hesitate to contact firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.