Please find below the documents required for a Columbia University Department Research Assistant (DRA) hire. If you have never been hired at Columbia University before, please ensure all the applicable documents below are completed. If you have previously been hired at Columbia, please fill out the Invention Agreement form. In either case, if you are not a U.S. citizen, please also provide copies of all applicable immigration documents.
Please notify ISERP before you accept any other position at Columbia University during your appointment as a Department Research Assistant. Students may only work up to a combined total of 20 hours per week at Columbia during the academic year. Any work outside of your DRA role must be accounted for by ISERP in advance.
Please return your completed forms to room 370 International Affairs Extension, or via email to the ISERP staff member who is setting up your hire.
- I-9: See instructions here.
- Please note: The I-9 is completed in two parts. Part 1 may be completed online; part 2 must be completed in person at a designated I-9 service center. Both parts of the I-9 form must be completed within three working days of your start date, by law. Please do not begin work until your hire paperwork has been completed. Please also ensure your start date has been confirmed by ISERP staff, as this is required when you complete part 2 of the I-9. Return the I-9 receipt to ISERP staff for record-keeping.
- A Social Security Number is required to complete the online portion of the I-9. If you do not have a Social Security Number, please let us know and we will help you set this up.
- Invention Agreement form
- Ethnicity form
- current W4
- One of the following NYS tax forms. (Please contact ISERP with any questions regarding which form to complete.)
- Please provide your immigration documents if you are not a US citizen. These may include:
- Permanent Resident card
- Any others that apply
- Please provide your resume/CV if you have not done so already.
Department Research Assistant is a semi-monthly, salaried position. You can expect to receive payments on the 15th and last date of each month during which you are appointed. Instructions on how to set up direct deposit may be found here. If you have issues setting up direct deposit, you can submit questions to the HRPC Helpdesk via the inquiry form (http://hr.columbia.edu/hrpc-inquiry-form) or contact the HRPC Help Desk at 212-851-2888 Monday – Friday from 9 am – 4 pm.
If you do not set up direct deposit, you will pick up your paper checks in room 370F IAB after being notified via email. Please bring ID when you sign out your check.