Casual Employee Hires

Please find below the documents required for a Columbia University casual hire. If you have never been hired at Columbia University before, please ensure all the applicable documents below are completed. If you have previously been hired at Columbia, please fill out the Casual Employment Form, NYS Department of Labor form, Criminal Background form, and Ethnicity form. In either case, if you are not a U.S. citizen, please also provide copies of all applicable immigration documents.

Please return your completed forms to room 370 International Affairs Extension, or via email to the ISERP staff member who is setting up your hire.

Document Checklist

  • I-9: See instructions here.
    • Please note: The I-9 is completed in two parts. Part 1 may be completed online; part 2 must be completed in person at a designated I-9 service center. Both parts of the I-9 form must be completed within three working days of your start date, by law. Please do not begin work until your hire paperwork has been completed. Please also ensure your start date has been confirmed by ISERP staff, as this is required when you complete part 2 of the I-9. Return the I-9 receipt to ISERP staff for record-keeping.
    • A Social Security Number is required to complete the online portion of the I-9. If you do not have a Social Security Number, please let us know and we will help you set this up.
  • Casual Employment form
  • NYS Department of Labor form
  • Criminal Background Form
  • Ethnicity form
  • W4
  • One of the following NYS tax forms. (Please contact ISERP with any questions regarding which form to complete.)
    • IT2104: NYS residents.
    • IT2104.1: Non-residents.
    • IT2104E: Exemption form that full time students under the age of 25 can submit in lieu of either of the above.
  • Please provide your immigration documents if you are not a US citizen. These may include:
    • Passport
    • Visa
    • I-20
    • Permanent Resident card
    • Any others that apply
  • Please provide your resume/CV if you have not done so already.


Casual employees are paid by the hour, and must submit time sheets approved by their supervisor every two weeks in order to be paid. Please visit the Casual Payroll page for more information about this process.



Don't want to miss our interesting news and updates! Make sure to join our newsletter list.

Contact us

For general questions about ISERP programs, services, and events.